Samar Fatany is a columnist for the Saudi Gazette English daily newspaper and Alarabiya.com. She has been a tireless supporter of the reform movement in Saudi Arabia and has been called upon by government ministries to represent the Kingdom’s women as a member of Saudi delegations to international conferences in Europe, America and Asia.
She has taken part in United Nations Development Program conferences and attended dozens of conferences and forums on press freedom, Middle East reform and women’s issues. Educated at Cairo University, she received additional broadcast training in British Broadcast Corp. media programs. She maintains that Saudi women have important roles to play in the Kingdom and abroad and sees a connection between the empowerment of Saudi women and the Kingdom’s economic and social development. She is a critic of extremism and equally committed to projecting a moderate view of Islam as a religion of peace, tolerance and understanding.
As the former Chief Broadcaster in the English section at Jeddah Broadcasting Station, she has introduced significant news, cultural, and religious programs. During a period of 30 years she has conducted interviews with official delegations and political personalities visiting the Kingdom. She continues to be actively involved in activities aiming at fighting extremism and enhancing women’s role in serving society.
· Fatany is a Founding Member of “NAAM” Think Tank Group
· Founding member of “Alkalimah” Literary Society
· Member of Saudi Women Writers Group
· Member of the Saudi Committee for International Trade, CIT, council of Saudi Chambers, Riyadh
· Member of the Saudi Committee for International Relations, IRC, Jeddah chamber of commerce
· Former Member of the committee for Youth Forums of the Ministry Of Foreign Affairs
She has published four books:
· Saudi Perceptions & Western Misconceptions · Saudi Women towards a new era
· Saudi Challenges & Reforms.
· Modernizing Saudi Arabia